Alco S-5

Chuck Petlick

I just got home from another tour of the mid-west.  Monday I was at Bellevue, Ohio where the Alco S-5 has been sitting.  This unit was reported to be painted into an "as delivered" scheme or maybe a B&M scheme.
  When I was out there about 6 weeks ago,  it was inside a building "getting worked on."
   About 3 weeks ago,  it was moved outside and some paint work had been performed on the sill area in bright yellow.  Monday it was still outdoors as a NKP steam engine had been running people back and forth this past weekend and the steamer was kept inside the said building overnight.
   About that same 3 weeks ago.  I was talking with a fellow that seemed knowlegable.  He was of the opinion the Alco was going to, I think he told me, Youngstown Steel, to be on display there.  I may have got the steel company incorrectly.
   Anyway, a lot more work needs to be done on this unit before it is pretty again.
   No more reports on this subject until the Spring ???
Chuck Petlick

William Sample

Chuck - not sure if you knew this but for those interested in the B&M S-5 there is a Facebook site - see: Boston & Maine ALCO S5 #864

Bill Sample

Chuck Petlick

Thank you Mr. Sample,
   Only thing is I don't belong to Facebook or any of those similar sites.  I did when they first started.  Way too stupid to bother with.
   I do realize that most of the sightings in New England tell one another,  and NOT the whole group,  what is coming, when, where, etc.  I'll live.  Already been there and done all that stuff.
   Your Plainville reports are interesting.
   Beats hell out of looking for the Photo Shopped birdie on the choo-choo pictures.